"Dive Away" - Hyperbaric & Diving Medicine Conference
Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club
Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles
July 26 - August 3, 2014
Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club is a luxury resort on the west coast of Curaçao. The wall begins only 40 yards from the beach, and the house reef is some of the prettiest diving on the island. Divers are treated to a 2-tank boat dive daily (for 6 days), and unlimited shore diving.
Diving in Curaçao is unique for many reasons; it is set apart from other Caribbean destinations by it's diversity and its density of sea life, its many underwater landscapes, and it's reef proximity to shore. Curaçao's reefs surround the island attaching to the shore like a narrow fringe. These beautiful gardens of delicate corals are home to a rainbow of marine life.
GO WEST Diving is one of the most respected dive operators on the island. Besides air, they also offer nitrox fills and a variety of specialized dives as options to their standard dive offerings. Their comfortable dive boats provide short trips to Curaçao’s best dive sites, like the Mushroom Forest and the “Superior Producer” ship wreck. You shouldn't be surprised to see dolphins, turtles, or pilot whales.
Playa Kalki, also called Alice in Wonderland, is a perfect spot for a day at the beach with divers, snorkelers and sunlovers. The name "Kalki" refers to the limestone in the surrounding cliffs. This small cove is situated below Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club. This is one of the top 10 dive spots on the island. Visibility averages 100 feet and the distance to swim from shore is about three minutes to the wall which drops to below 60 feet. Wave action is generally calm with little current, although occasionally the current is unpredictable. Look for green moray eels, lobsters, and mushroom shaped star coral formations, as well as a wide array of colorful reef fish.
Dolphin scuba and snorkel diving experiences are available on Curaçao, as well as a submarine ride.
Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club offers 4 types of rooms. All rooms have air conditioning, compact refrigerator, complimentary high-speed Internet access and TV with U.S./international cable channels. All rooms except the Ocean Front Terrace Junior Suite also have ceiling fans. Many of the rooms have other amenities, which are explained in detail in the Application Form.
The Diving Medicine CME curriculum is detailed in a supplemental informational brochure
Space is limited! Reserve Now!
Discount available if deposit received by Feb 15, 2014
Hyperbaric & Diving Medicine Conference
Hyperbaric & Diving Medicine Course:
24 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
Diving Developments and Techniques, Fitness to Dive, Drowning/Near Drowning
SCUBA and Free Diving Physics & Physiology
Gas Embolism and Decompression Sickness, Return to Diving Assessment
Environmental Hazards, Cave/Cold Water Diving
Hyperbaric Medicine, Dive Accident Management, and much more!
From $1,899.00*- includes airport meet in Williamsted (Airport code: CUR), round trip coach transfer between airport and resort, Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club (KHL&BC) accommodations & hotel tax (9 days, 8 nights), 3 meals from select menu daily, beverages (water, juice, tea); 6 days diving, 1 2-tank boat dive per day, tanks for diving KHL&BC shoreline (6a-8p), weights & belts. The following is NOT included: Trip cancellation/delay insurance, airfare and travel expenses to Curaçao, accommodations/meals/transfers in Curaçao if before July 26 or departing after Aug 3, gratuities, alcoholic beverages, equipment rental other than above, dive instruction, nitrox fills, oxygen fills.
Diving Medicine CME Program: $650 before Feb 15, 2014; $750 thereafter.
* Amount quoted is per person/double occupancy in Lodge Garden View. Rates include taxes. Prices and rates subject to change. Package does not include round trip airfare. Other room categories available ($2049.00-$2549.00 per person/double occupancy, single rates also available). Price is for payment by check or cash. 4% additional charge for payment by credit card. Space is subject to availability, there is limited space available, your space is not guaranteed until completed application form and deposit is received and confirmation provided. Other restrictions may apply. See DiveAway 2014 Kura Hulanda Lodge & Beach Club,Curaçao Application form for complete details. +Restrictions apply, packages subject to terms and conditions.
For more info and registration forms contact:
Jeff Bozanic - Next Generation Services, Inc.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) and Long Beach Memorial Medical Center (LBMMC). The UHMS is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society designates this live activity for a maximum of 24 AMA PRA Category I Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. All faculty members and planners participating in continuing medical education activities sponsored by UHMS and LBMMC are expected to disclose to the participants any relevant financial relationships with commercial interests. Full disclosure of faculty and planner relevant financial relationships will be made at the activity.
This six-day course in diving & hyperbaric medicine is open to everyone, but is an exciting and opportune way for physicians, nurses and health professionals to earn continuing medical education credits while enjoying one of the most beautiful, adventurous and exciting islands in Malaysia- and, of course, there is fantastic diving!
The objectives/goals of this CME course is to provide a comprehensive overview of diving medicine, cover many topics related to hyperbaric medicine in order to provide the participant with the tools necessary to understand:
- how the undersea environment affects divers
- discussing fitness to dive and return to diving issues
- the evaluation of diving related injuries,
- the management of these conditions, and much more.
- The History of Diving & Hyperbaric Medicine
- The Physics of Diving
- Physiological Responses to the Underwater Environment
- Decompression Theory
II. SURFACE/ENVIRONMENT ISSUES
- Blackout/Apneic Diving
- Marine Animal Injuries & Envenomation
- Hyperthermia and Sun Exposure Issues
III. DESCENT ISSUES
- ENT Aspects of Diving
- Non-Pulmonary Barotrauma
- Thoracic Squeeze
IV. BOTTOM ISSUES
- Nitrogen Narcosis
- Oxygen Toxicity
- Carbon Dioxide Toxicity/CO Poisoning
V. ASCENT ISSUES
- Extra-alveolar Gas/Arterial Gas Embolism,
- Decompression Sickness
VI. DROWNING/NEAR DROWNING
VII. FITNESS TO DIVE
- Medical Considerations/Physical Health & Fitness
- Age Considerations, Cardiac Health and Diving
- Innate Immunity
- Mammalian Adaptation to Diving
- History of Diving Injuries
- Accident Analysis / Case Histories
- Physical & Mental Health Training for Divers
VIII. SPECIAL FEATURES
- Hyperbaric Medicine - Mechanisms, Indications, Safety, Applications for Diving Related
Diseases and off label indications
- Technical Diving, New Species Discovery in Cave
- Rebreather Diving, Cave Diving
- Medical/Surgical Resources on Dive Sites
- Seafood Toxidromes
- Forensic Diving Cases - Antarctic Diving, Hypothermia
- New Developments in Diving Technology
- Wilderness, Extreme Location/Travel Medicine
- Divers’ First Aid /Medical Kits.
The information provided at this CME activity is for Continuing Medical Education purposes only. The lecture content, statements or opinions expressed however, do not necessarily represent those of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS), its affiliates or its employees.